Taste More of Everything You Prepare!
In proper ratios, onions and other aromatics ( like shallots, leeks, celery, fennel, garlic and other bulb vegetables) push the flavor of there main products. Caramelizing such a humble ingredient transforms it into a superstar and takes it to a whole different level. A level that once its in your arsenal of flavor bombs, its hard to imagine you were ever without it. Caramelized Onions push the flavor of ready to serve products. You will taste more of your Hamburger's, Crostini's, Steaks, Pork Chops, Sauces, Chutneys, Cold Salsas, Cheeses and just about anything you can imagine in the proper ratio. Its that versatile. Throughout the years Caramelized Onions have always been a key player in any kitchen I've cooked in. Perhaps, they should be in yours too.
I cook my Onion without any fat.
3 Onions Sliced
1 Sprig Thyme
1 Garlic Clove (Crushed)
1 Tbl. Spoon Sea Salt
1. Toss everything in bowl.
2. Place in a med. sized pot over med. high heat with a lid. Cook for 15 min.
3. Take off lid and reduce onion liquid until there is nothing left. Make sure to stir frequently, allowing the juice to reduce quicker. This can take up to 20 min. but this depends on how wide your pot is. The wider your pot the quicker the process.
4. Once the Onion water is gone The natural sugars begin to caramelize and begin to turn a amber brown color. At this point you deglaze with a 1/2 cup of water, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly.
5. Repeat process for desired color.
6. Taste for seasoning. Take out, cool and reserve this flavor bomb for just about anything you want:)